Thursday, February 20, 2014

Not Even a Year

Ah fuck, it is back and I didn't even get a fucking year off from it.
Water Temple in the mountains Bali
That is what I thought when I first felt the small lump back in December.  Not even a year.  I didn't even get a fucking year.  OK, let me give you a brief back story.

Second week, or the  third week of December I was sitting on the pot taking a leak, (you didn't expect me to be all prim and proper did you?) and my right hand (get your mind out of the gutter) was laying on my right thigh, and I thought I felt "something".  Not too big, maybe the size of a nickel? 

So I kept pushing and pulling the skin, and sure enough, it wasn't going anywhere and rock hard.  Well ain't that a piece of shit.  I'm thinking, yep need to go to the doctor, then I thought, too close to Christmas, don't want to deal with that during the holidays.  I'll call the doc after the holidays, but keep track of the size.

I did keep track of the size, it didn't seem to grow much, and the holidays were over.  I went to call the doc and set something up and looked at the calendar.  Oh, I'm not calling.  Not till I get back.  I'm not putting my trip to Bali in jeopardy.  I won't get a refund!!


More back story, back in August of 2013, I decided I was going to take a trip.  There were some really good deals on Living Social.  First choice was Morocco, but the State Department site said it wasn't the most stable place to go, (I only found that out after my son sent me the link and told me to read it), China was next, but there was a bit of tension between the US and China over that hacking.  So I said Bali, and everyone thought that would be a good choice for my first international trip.  If the price weren't so cheap I would have never gone.

Now I got back from Bali on January 22 (yes it was beautiful, and fun and yes I want to go back even with the long flight) so I called the doctor that Monday.  Went in to see him the first available appointment, which was a week, two weeks? later.  He felt it.

CT scan for the chest and abdomen, because you know how I tend to have those buggers start growing out of no where and they grow everywhere.  That was Monday, went for a biopsy with an ultra sound on Tuesday.

The doctor felt it and at first thought a needle biopsy would work, until he did the ultra sound.  That bugger is bigger than a golf ball.  Going into the leg.  So he took four "core" biopsies.   Basically they numb you up and stick a 10 gauge needle into you and this thing goes through the needle out into the tumor and you hear a sound like a heavy duty commercial staple gun.  That is the tissue sample being clipped off.

So there you have it.  I'm starting the year all over again dealing with this.  Isn't it ironic?  I hate winter and this shit always happens in winter, and it always starts out in January/February. 

No I don't know what was on the CT scan yet, or what the biopsy says, when I do I'll let you know.

The way I see it is I have a few different possibilities, I'll list them, starting off with the worst case scenario and ending with the best.

Worst, there is nothing that can be done, and I just live what life I have left (if this happens I'm putting out a begging jar so I can do another trip of a lifetime before I kick the bucket.  Oh a bucket trip for the bucket lady! :D)

Less worse:  I loose the right leg.  Hell, I can live with that.  Will have to figure out how to get around and drive but I can deal.

Less, less worse:  They remove the tumor, damage the leg making mobility a challenge, I have to do chemo and radiation.  Actually, I don't want to have a gimp leg so this may be worse then the less worse.

Less, less, less worse: Minimal damage to the leg, large scar, chemo and radiation

Less, less, less, less worse:  No damage, huge ass scar, radiation.

Less, less, less, less, less worse:  No damage, huge ass scar.

Never mind all of the small little variances in between each scenario.  So it basically comes down to this, ain't no sense in being worried or concerned.  When the doctor gets the results and talks to the cancer board (by the way I am a topic at just about every board because of the type of cancer, severity, reactions to treatment and surgeries, paving the way for others) we'll figure out a path.  If I don't like the options, I'll go find Doctor Flynn at the American Cancer Institute in Pa.

So, I get to put off some things I wanted to do this year, gotta cover the out of pocket expenses.  Seems like when I pay them off BAM they are back.  (I was actually toying with the idea of going to Alaska in June just to see a bunch of folks, but oh well, you guys have fun for me).

That is the latest update from this end of the world.  How's it going for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment