Sunday, November 17, 2019

Trepidation

Trepidation
noun
tremulous fear, alarm, or agitation; perturbation.

Yes, that pretty much sums up the emotions I have been feeling of late.  There is a two-fold reason for it too.

Well, the first one is obvious.  The whole no Medicare Gap coverage for people under 65 that are a hair above the poverty level.  And the whole Part D drug coverage thing.  I mean a co-pay of $3250 for my chemo every month is a bit rich for my blood.  That is a bit rich for anyones’ blood.  Thank God that the drug portion is resolved for the moment.  (Yes, I still have that feeling that something was misunderstood and I will end up with a surprise bill.)

Two weeks ago, a Monday and Wednesday were training.  Job training.  I have been putting in applications to everyone within a short drive of my home.  (There are two shopping centers.) Target called, and would not hire me because I could not work two days a week.  I figure that would give me two days for any tests, doctors’ appointments, and down time in between working.

Lowe’s called.  I got a hired for a part time job in Paint.  I cannot work over 15 hours a week or I lose disability and Medicare – hey 80% of doctor’s visits and hospital stays are better than zero.  I need to find a way to save money for the car and other expenses.  Like covering the 20% cost on doctors’ visits.

They do have health insurance for Part time employees, but it is a wellness plan with no hospitalization.  The cost of the plan per year is not worth it, it only covers wellness visits, besides the $40 a month can cover part of the cost of the monthly oncologist visit.  They also offer vision.  I need to get my glasses changed.  Glasses and exams are not cheap either.  So, vision insurance for the win.

Since then I have put in two four-hour shifts.  To say I have been apprehensive is putting it mildly.  I mean I fall short of full-blown panic attacks.

I was honest when I interviewed them.  I have cancer, I am out of shape.  I can lift 25 pounds but do not expect me to be fast.  I can do things but I am slower than a person that has two good legs and two good lungs.  I had originally applied for Lawn and Garden.  But they offered me Paint. 

I would have so failed Lawn and Garden.  I do not know what I was thinking.  Yes, I do.  I wan thinking that the extra money would help.  But being out in the cold and constantly hauling heavy items.  I guess I was thinking more of taking care of plants than the back-breaking work they really do in Lawn and Garden.

Wednesday, was orientation and computer training.  I was a bit uneasy about going.  Not bad, but I was edgy.  I survived.The following Friday was another day of training, but I was so worked up about going I almost did not.  I knew it was finishing the computer training, not being out on the floor.

It did not matter it was computer training.  I kept thinking about when I get out onto the floor.  There will be more exposure to people.  More of a chance to make mistakes.  I can carry a gallon of paint.  The 3.5 gallon is a bit difficult but I can slowly carry it.  I cannot budge the five-gallon buckets.  But I did tell them I was out of shape.  I was on chemo.

My first day on the floor I was in full blown freak out.  But I survived.  And I survived the
second day too.  But I came away with a few concerns about the job and my physical ability at present time.  So, I let them know my concerns, and am waiting for a response.

When they first offered the Paint job, I thought, “Oh, I can handle that I worked in Paint at Home Depot in the early 2000’s.”  At that time, I was running the shelter, hauling 40 lb. bags of wood stove pellets, walking up and down stairs and ladders.  It was before the cancer in 2003.  It was when I had two good lungs.  When I did not have an occlusion on the Vena Cava or tumors in the lymph nodes along the trachea.  One of the things that started me worrying was the “How to Lift Properly” training.  I cannot lift things like that.  I have no left hamstring.  If I squat down, I need one hand to balance to get up.

They need someone who can perform.  I do not want to disappoint people who put faith in me.  I do not want to disappoint myself.  I do not want to disappoint anyone.

But I cannot guarantee it will work out the way I want it to and that causes trepidation.  (Doesn’t that sound like a made-up word?)

I know all I can do is try my hardest to succeed.  I do not want to fail.  Failing sucks eggs in a closet.  I do not like the idea of failing.

This is so out of my comfort zone it is not funny. 

I would rather jump out of another airplane.

2 comments:

  1. You SO got this. Take it slow. They know and understand. All you can do is TRY. Have you thought of working within your local school system? I work in the cafeteria, minimal hours, and easy with my health issues and the kiddo's needs. Check it out IF Lowe's doesn't feel like the best fit. Much <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't let this job over stress you. That won't be good for your health either. You told them what you could do so don't try to surpass that. No job is worthy of that.

    ReplyDelete