Tuesday, November 26, 2019

The Four Emotional Stages of Terminal Cancer

Well, some people may say there are more, but I believe there are four major stages.

Stage I - Devastation & Anger
Your world is on fire and there is nothing you can do

No one wants to hear the words you have cancer.  Honestly.  No one.  There is less than no one that wants to hear the words you are terminal.  Although, come to think of it, I am not sure they word it that way today.

I am going to be honest here.  I didn't go through this stage; well, at least the devastation part.  I had actually expected to hear it.  When you are diagnoised for the sixth time and they tell you that all they could do was de-bulk the tumors, you sort of know.  But I will admit, when one doctor slipped and said "I encourage all my terminal patients to go do what they want."  I thought, well damn it is about time someone said something.

During this stage you grieve for your life.  You grieve for those you will leave behind.  You grieve because you don't want to cause anyone pain.  You grieve for the things you want to do but won't be able to.

The devastation slowly turns to anger, and for some it boils red hot.  You're angry about cancer interfering with your life, your plans.  Basically it just came in and F**ked up your world.

After being red hot angry, you start to funnel all that negative anger into the next stage, well hopefully you do.

I actually forgot about the anger part and had to do an edit to add it.  Anger is such a negative feeling and it really doesn't help.  Yes, I went through the anger.  How dare cancer come back again and again to interfere with my life?

When I am feeling angry, I try to funnel the anger into Stage II.

You don your shiny armor and brave face
Stage II - Fight to Win
During this stage you put on your shining armor and proclaim to the world you will fight this monster and you will beat it.

You gather your troops, your family and friends.  They cheer you on.  They even help you do things you have only dreamed of.  They watch you with pride and admiration.

You laugh at the cancer, knowing that you are greater than it.

You are proud to set the example of being brave in the face of death.

In reality this stage can be exhausting.




Stage III - Acceptance
In this stage your armor is beat up a bit, lots of dings, you've been through chemo, maybe even radiation and surgery.

You start to accept and come to terms with your mortality.  You start to encourage people to do things, make memories.  Don't give things as gifts, give experiences and memories.  Memories last forever.

You realize how precious the little things are.  You even work on the bucket list.  Maybe even with a vengeance.  That way you have memories.  You take whoever you can on the journeys so they have the memories too.

You  notice your friends may not be around much, not that they don't want to be but they have lives of their own and you seem to be doing well.

You haven't given up, and you fight, but you start really living life like you should have all along.

Stage IV - Exhaustion - Isolationism
You are tired before you even start

Your armor is pretty damaged here.  You've been through hell and back.  In the beginning of this you start to pull back from people.  You don't want to have them hurting when you die.  Gradually you pull back till there is no one around or very, very few.

You try to protect others by isolating yourself.

Add to that the emotional, mental and physical exhaustion of doctors appointments, scans, blood tests, chemo, radiation, even counseling for some.

In the back of your mind you think, how much longer?  How long to I have to act like everything is fine, that I am ok.  How much longer before the chemo doesn't work, how much longer before I end up in the hospital.

You feel like your whole life has become cancer.  Everything you do or plan revolves around it. It is emotionally and physically exhausting.  It is depressing.

Depression really rears its ugly head here.  It feeds the negative feelings, the negative feelings feed the depression.  It is a vicious cycle.

You convince yourself it is for everyone's best
This is the stage you need help the most, but most people don't realize it happens.  They always believe the brave face, and miss the little things that give it away.

How can you help prevent them from isolating?  Get involved, go for coffee - don't take no for an answer.  Don't let the person be alone all of the time.  24/7 alone in ones head can cause some reall messes.  Pick up the phone.  Trust me at this stage they aren't picking the phone up to call anyone if they can avoid it.

Do something to let them know that they haven't been forgotten.

I know communication goes both ways but when you are in this stage it isn't easy to admit it, and harder yet to ask for help.

Hell, I can't say anything about asking for help.  It is the hardest thing in the world for me to do so I just keep my mouth shut other than when I whine in my journal or blog.

Some people will go back and forth between Stage III - Acceptance and Stage IV - Exhaustion/Isolationism.

I've just spent a long time in Stage IV.  I am working to bring myself out of it.  I am trying to reach
You hide your feelings
out and socialize more.  It isn't easy.  But I am working on it.

I am also working on the asking for help thing.  Not doing so well with that.  I am blessed to have a couple of friends that see my red flags,  and family that does too.

Just remember, there is no time limit to any one of these stages.  A person can experience all four in one day, or different ones on different days.  You can experience them in different orders.

There is no hard fast rule to this, well, maybe there is one.  It is an emotional rollercoaster.

It is a rollercoaster we do not want to ride but have no choice.

It is a rollercoaster we ride and unfortunately we need our family and friends to ride it with us on occasion to make it possible to keep fighting.

Just remember, our caregivers go through this too.  It is really hard on them.  They don't know what to do and if we don't communicate, they feel helpless and lost.  Just as much as we do.

Cancer is hard on us, but it is just as hard on family and friends.  They want to fix us, to make us better and healthy, but they can't.

Being able to communicate is the key.  So if they push to help, don't be angry, be grateful.  Let them help.  Don't be hard headed.  Learn to ask for help.

Always, always be kind to yourself.

6 comments:

  1. About Stage IV; You're allowed to be alone when you need it, but not necessarily when you want it. I just might have to get obnoxious and bother you, run interference.

    Keep writing Jean!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find myself between step 2 and 3 right now but I've gone through step 4 as well. There are so many emotions that cancer puts us through. Thank you for writing this. It'll let so many people know that they are not alone in their feelings. Good luck with your journey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, That was spot on. I have also been across all of these phases. I write some posts as I go through my journey as well. Keep Writing, its a great thing to help inspire other warriors and caregivers to see that the emotions we feel are also felt by others in the same battles. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been between the stages for four years and this puts words to how I feel! People are very encouraging, and even call me inspiring when sometimes all I want to do is be alone, nor talk to any one. I’m still working, and in management so I have gotten great at the tough me act. Sometimes I even believe it. I’m okay right now. Lots to keep me busy. I’m thankful for all that I have and the time I have left. Don’t know how long that is but I vow to make many memories Thank you for allowing me a voice and for putting into words how many of us feel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for writing this. It helped me to better understand my feelings and emotions. I'm tired too and I also feel guilty, survivor's guilt.Mine is not terminal yet, but millimeter by millimeter it's getting there. Tik-tok. sucks... I also feel alone and most times have to push myself to socialize.
    Acceptance is trick... Sometimes I think I got it and then it changes on me.

    ReplyDelete