Saturday, February 19, 2011

A Recap of the week, or How to scare your family and friends to death in seconds

Ah now that I feel more human, and have access to my  laptop.

The week in retrospect:

February 14 - Round one: went OK
February 15 - Round two: went to er, released
February 16 - Round two.one felt OK
February 17 - Round three felt like crap but went through
February 18 - On way to chemo appointment decided ER the better choice
February 19 - Hospitalized eating yuck

Got home, did my hook up with the IV and Mesna (drug that is suppose to help prevent damage to the kidneys) Don't remember unhooking my self from the IV, going to bed, kept getting up, shooting pain in the lower left abdomen.  I do remember hearing Baily cry in her crate, and was hoping Michelle would hear her, but she didn't then Baily got really crying, so I got up, she had flipped the tray out of her crate and pooped.  Took her out and she finished her job, went in cleaned up did the nature's miracle and little green clean machine, and left the light on and let the dogs in the bed.  I knew something was wrong so I left the bedroom door open and Michelle when she got up checked on me, I told her that I wasn't going in but I needed to go to chemo.  She went to work and one of the Marines came to bring me to the appointment, but on the way I told him call Michelle, look up Doctor Vaughn from Hematology and Associates and tell them I am not going to my appointment I am going to the ER something is wrong.

Got to the ER and they had all my stuff, and whoosh, they did a brain scan, wanted to be sure the cancer didn't spread to my brain.  Hey I have a brain!!  Who knew??  :

I can't do Atavan.  I suffer lucid hallucinations from it, and won't allow them to give me that or any other drug in that group.  Yep had hallucinations. They start off mild, and get worse.  The nurse came in to give me more stuff for nausea, and my comment was great, more hallucinations, she looked and got me off of them and on to something else.  Apparently most people react to pain and discomfort with a higher BP, not me, mine drops. 70/56 I think was the lowest.  Guess I really am an anomaly.

Spent most of the day and night in la la land.  The nausea stuff makes you tired. But I couldn't keep anything down yesterday.  Today I was on a clear liquid diet, a "liquid" diet, strained oatmeal and strained cream of wheat is nothing but starch, and strained potato soup is nothing but starch, but the orange sherbet went down and stayed along with tea.  Won't drink hospital coffee. YUCK!

Next step is soft foods, and then solids.  If I eat and keep them down, I can go home sometime tomorrow.  Release date is still to be determined.

Did you know that on a full liquid diet you can have either strained oatmeal (starch) or strained Cream of Wheat (disgusting) or strained potato soup (basically run a potato through a sieve, boil it and strain it what is left is "soup") Nasty.  I tried to eat them, honest I did, but I would have puked.

But the Orange sherbet was good, so was the tea and lemon.  Even the prune juice tasted better than the soup.

So what happened? Basically it is a combination of things.  The Ifosfomade (chemo drug) can cause "ticks" or "twitches" and hallucinations, normally in men that have testicular cancer, add to that being dehydrated, and a raging UTI (urinary tract infection - again no symptoms) You get one confused woman, who only knows something isn't right, and starts asking questions for the worst case scenario.

And trust me, I did.  So with the sincerest of apologies to those I had frightened, I plead I was out of my mind, but wait, the Brain Scan said I had a brain, just no brain cancer.

Ok, so I plead it was the drugs.  All drugs. 

That was my week how was yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment