Monday, July 24, 2017

Living with an Expiration Date

In reality, we all live with one.  The difference?  I have an idea of when, and what will cause my ending.

Most days, I don't think about it.  Honestly.  It doesn't accomplish anything.  Neither does getting all depressed, crying and railing against it.  Doesn't help.  Don't get me wrong, I want to live, and I have said it before, I will fight.

It can be a bit frustrating in reality.  Seriously, what does terminal look like?  I think many people expect to see me weak, frail, wobbly, can't do things.  For now that isn't the way I am.

I am thin.  Last time I weighed myself I was 104 pounds.  Less than when I graduated high school.  I am not weak, well, I am working on strength.  Yes, I get winded.  Side effect of the chemo, and having only 1 1/3 lungs, along with a tumor sitting on the lung.  Working on the lung capacity too.

My oncologist told me to do things I want to.  To live.  He is all for me working out, as long as I don't over do, and mind what my body tells.  As long as I have good counts, I can do things.  When the blood count crashes, well that is when I go into hiding, or the hospital.

So for as long as I can, I will do as much as I can.  Including work.  Got to keep the roof over the head, utilities paid, and fund those bucket list things. (Right now I am smiling and laughing, I do have one long list.)

Many think I am in denial when they hear me talk, I am not.  I know that as time goes on, I will not be able to do as I do now.  I know my body will betray me, will become weaker (one reason I want to get in much better shape, the logic is that the better the shape I am in, the longer I put off the betrayal - even if it isn't true don't tell me.  This is an illusion I need.)

Yes, I need an illusion.  I think all people do.  The difference is I realize that I know it is one, but there is that slim chance; but I think that may be with all illusions.  I will have to ponder that.

Please don't get me wrong.  I know I need help.  But I need to feel independent now.  As time goes on, I will need more help.  Help with cooking, house work, driving places.  But for now, I need my independence.

Walk with me while I am independent, encourage me.  Travel with me.  But if I need that quiet alone time, realize it has nothing to do with anyone, or this journey I am on.  I am that introvert that needs quiet and alone time to recharge.

Now go seize the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment