Monday, February 18, 2013

Hey can I get another piece of gauze? I'm still bleeding

I'll get around to explaining the title in a bit, it is all a part of the story, the adventure if you will, and yes, I do believe I stopped bleeding, at least it hasn't soaked through yet.  Eh, whatever.

Chemo started on February 4th.  Ten whole days earlier than in 2011.  Yes on February 14th 2011 I started chemo.  Happy Valentine's Day! First day is ok, I mean it went well, by the time the six hours was done, I was tired, but ok.  Made it to wok everyday for an  hour and a half, except for Friday, just couldn't motivate, nausea, hell I couldn't even get two sips of coffee down.  But I dutifully got my ass to chemo and got my ass home.

One of the most disturbing sides effects (only one you ask?) is the fact it has affected my breathing.  What I could normally do three or four times with out a problem (get your dirty little minds out of the gutter!!!! :D) go up and down the stairs, I can't do once with out huffing and puffing for air.  I never knew how much I took the simple thing of breathing for granted. 

I spent Friday, Saturday, and Sunday in bed, except for the doing my laundry, which I didn't put away right.  It is driving me insane that it isn't put away right, and my room isn't right, and my house isn't right, I am literally going crazy over dust bunnies, and I can't help it.  A clean home makes me feel better, any way after letting you into a bit of my quirks, Monday rolls around.  I get up, huffing and a puffing, take care of the dogs, yeah I'm not making it to work.  So I let my boss know and he makes sure I get a ride to my doctor's for my Newlasta shot.

My ride home was Michelle and a stop at the grocery was on the schedule, ten quarts of orange Gatorade were on my list, along with Bob Evans Mashed potatoes and Mac and Cheese.   I waited in the car and Michelle made the run.  Two ice cream scoops of taters were wonderful, then I go crash and burn.

In the morning, Michelle comes up stairs and there I am sitting in front of the dishwasher huffing and puffing, clenching the half and half waiting for my cup of coffee.  I asked her to ask the CWO if it would be ok for me to park in the visitors parking space instead of where we normally have to park because it would make it easier.  She did and he told her to tell me just park there and he would take care of it.

So I did, and by the time I got to my desk I was so happy to be able to sit down.  But I got to work, and I made sure I got back to where I could sit when I felt it hitting a bit hard.

CWO told Michelle to move my car to the handicap spot, and he would take care of it.  I work with the best people.

But I make it through the week, feeling a bit rough, Thursday was ok, but Friday AM I knew I was in for a rough one,  down a couple of aspirin for fever, all I have to do is make it till 1 so I could get to the doctors.  By 1 I was feeling rough, but I could drive, worse by the time I got to the doctor's.  They took blood for my counts and I got to go sit in the office.  Daniel walk in and says, "Oh Honey, you look like hell!"  My response is a laugh, and "And I feel like shit."  Needless to say my numbers in the tank. Doctor wants to admit me, can you drive to the hospital?  Me, nope, not feeling like this.  When I left work I was ok to drive, but I crashed hard and fast.  I know my limits.  So, off I go in an ambulance.  I had Michelle's number scribbled down so they could call her and let her know to pick up my car, I thought I left my phone at home, turns out it was in the car.  DUH.

Admitted Friday, lots of blood taken, my arm is bruised and I look like a junkie.  (Did I mention the hair is falling out?) The doctors talk to me and tell me my blood levels, uh yeah I need transfusions.  I've had bad reactions before to them so they pretreat.  The blood transfusions go ok, and the tests come back my platelets are gone.  So a platelet transfusion is on board.

The first half of bag goes ok, then it hits. I start to shake, the first thing I reach for is the O2, and try to cover up because I start to freeze and shake, just as I try to press the call button my nurse Lisa walks in, next thing I know there are like five nurses, a doctor, and all working to get the reaction under control.  I'm running a fever, but my body is freezing, I am so cold I am shaking so hard I can't breath, I actually have to try to calm the shaking and think breathe in from the nose out through the  mouth.  They cut off the platelets, give me something for the reaction, and I start to feel warmer, so the shaking starts to subside, I stop shaking but I stay covered up, I tell them I'll peel off the layers as I feel warm enough, and as they were all taking in what had happened I started to remove layers of blankets. I scared a few people.  But the nurses are all top notch here.

Next day the Doc comes in says my platelets are still way too low and I need another transfusion.  They want to put a cocktail of Benadryl, steroid, and something else.  Run it slow, three hours, have me checked and vitals taken like every fifteen minutes to thirty.  At the first sign, tickle, or clue from me it stops, and the line gets flushed.

That was the longest, most stressful three hours.  By the time it was done, I had a tension head ache like you wouldn't believe.  Two percosets.  Helped the pain, but didn't do a thing for the tight muscles in the neck and head.  Slept like shit last night too.

Talked to the Nurse Practitioner from Dr. Vaughn's Office today, my platelets are still low and she thinks another transfusion is in order, we talked, and agreed to not do it today, and see what the counts are tomorrow, then if needed the same protocol will be used.  Seems reasonable.  I only wish the same nursing staff were on duty tomorrow.

What caused the reaction?  They can test for disease but they can't test for things the donor may have eaten that you are allergic to, or medicines.  If the donor of the platelets had Vancomyicyn or MSG for that matter.  My body reacts to what it sees as something that doesn't belong.  Not fun at all. 

Rather frightening.  But all is well at the moment.  I am stuck here another couple days.  Still have issues with one type of bacteria growing in the urinary tract, and e-coli growing in my blood.  They think the tumor is some leaching it from the intestine.   No I don't have it, but it is in my blood.  Very weird.

When they told my that I went wait, I do this, this, this and this.  The doctor laughed and said it wasn't my habits but the tumor may have found a way to leach from the bowl.  Yeah, lucky me.

That is the complete update, and I am going to see if I can get some Tylenol for this headache and hopefully get some sleep tonight.

Oh yeah the title, they took some blood to test, did the usual ball of gauze, pressure tape.  Well I soaked through the ball of gauze and had to ask for some more.  It did finally stop.

1 comment: